Sunday, April 22, 2007

Spotlight: John Cox

John Cox is the former Chair of the Cook County Republican Party and several times failed candidate for national elected office. On his website he focus on 18 issues, with education coming in at #16:
  • The War in Iraq, Tax Policy, The Illegal Immigration Crisis, Protecting our Second Amendment Rights, National Security, Standing for Life, Government Spending, Traditional Values, Religious Freedom, Standing for the Traditional Family and for Marraige, Social Security and Government Transfer Spending, Regulation and Tort Reform, Reforming Politics, Health Care, Energy and the Environment, Education, Agriculture, Free but Fair Trade

Overall he dedicates the following 71 words to education:

  • The government school monopoly is the problem. Competition is the answer, not more money, which has doubled after inflation in the past 20 years without much improvement in test scores. Turn parents into consumers with vouchers, which are Constitutional and do not lose money for public schools because the child is no longer there to create expenses. Education is a local and state issue. No Child Left Behind should be repealed.

Analysis: Cox believes the federal government should stay out of education as it is a state and local issue, however, he is in support of vouchers as the solution to the "problem" which he references but doesn't define. In line with his view of who is responsible edcuation, he calls for NCLB to be repealed (and one would assume Title I, etc). No research is referenced and, with the exception of NCLB, no problems are specifically mentioned and no specific implementation steps are offered. Although this candidate doesn't believe education should be a national responsibility, I hope he understands its national importance and provides more infomation on this issue in the near future.

Interesting Observation: Almost every page of his campaign site has a link to purchase his new book, Politics, Inc. Is this a serious presidential campaign or marketing campaign?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was sent this reference and thought it important to address this note directly. First, I am a former school board president and the son of a Chicago public school teacher; I have been a teacher myself as well so I think I have some standing to discuss education. If you look at the Constitution, you will find no reference to the federal government having the responsibility for education policy. It is true that in the past the federal government has rightly gotten involved when equal protection was the issues especially, when different schools had different standards based on color, which is reprehensible to me as I hope it is to all Americans. Having said that, I do believe there can be some federal role in assisting some states with funding if they are unable due to their own unique economic circumstances to fund their own education. I believe that can be done without the huge bureaucracy in Washington DC. That bureaucracy doesn't teach children, good teachers and parents do. Second, my support for vouchers, which should be executed by the states but for which I will use the bully pulpit of the Presidency to argue for, is based upon my belief that the private sector influence of competition is the best way to provide the quality and efficiency we need for our schools, especially at the primary and secondary level. Our colleges compete with each other and essentially have voucher programs (many grant programs, etc) and they are some of the best educational institutions in the world. Our primary and secondary schools for the most part are government bureaucracies run for the adminstrators and not the teachers and students. Finally, it is a cheap shot to refer to the book I wrote. I wrote the book so people would know more about me and where I stand on the issues. It is referenced on each page as is volunteering, issues and other matters. I am not making any money on the book and all proceeds go to the campaign. I have not done any promotional tours for the book. Education may be near the back but the last chapter is on Agriculture but that doesn't mean I don't think it is a good idea to have an agriculture industry. Ordering the chapters was not some plan to communicate that education is not important. Quite the contrary, my background surely notes that I believe education is fundamental to the future success of our country. That is why I want the federal government, with its inefficient and wasteful forms and bureaucracy, to take a backseat to the important functions of local school boards, parents and teachers.

John Cox